Age 51 of Martinsburg
Married Children: Married with 2 children
How Long Have You Lived In The Area: 20 plus years
Relevant Experience Serving The Community:
- Community Service Organization:
- WV MOM Dental Initiative – Co-Chairperson- Logistics Team 2008
- Mission is to assist individuals (primarily the working poor, the elderly, the disabled, or the uninsured) are often left without any dental care. In response to lack of access to care and the results poor oral presents, Healthy Smiles Partners will launch the WV mission of mercy. This is the first and largest two-day FREE dental clinic in West Virginia.
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. Appointed to National Social Action Commission January 2012- 2018To increase knowledge of current local and national issues, so that the community will be informed and effective citizens and advocates; To encourage political awareness and participation; To influence the enactment of legislation, national and locally, of particular interest to African Americans and women;
- Eastern Panhandle Alumnae Chapter Delta Sigma Theta Sorority – Chairperson- Social Action Committee 2004-2018
- As Social Action Chairperson I have knowledge and awareness of the problems, opportunities and issues facing Berkeley County. I maintain contacts and communications networks, including face-to-face meeting with State Legislators and other Government leaders. I serve as representative for Delta Days in the Nation’s Capital, an annual legislative conference.
- 2008 Political Forums Panel Member with John McVey (The Martinsburg Journal) and David Welch of WEPM-Maria Lorensen, Editor the Martinsburg Journal
- WV Healthy Lifestyle Commission Appointed 2008-2009
- Berkeley County Boys and Girls Club – Advisory Board Chairperson 2007-2008 & Corporate Board member 2006-2008- Reviewed annual budget, hiring of new personnel, and any policies that affected the club. Supervised all subcommittees that were responsible for various activities such as finance, re, membership, security, food & beverage, and staff.
- Destiny Baptist Church Destiny Baptist Church, Martinsburg, WV- Ordained Deaconess January 27,2019. 1st Woman to be ordained at Destiny Baptist Church.
- President Women ministry 2014-2019 serves on Executive committee formulating best practices to help guide the Woman Ministry to better overall performance through administration, corporate worship and membership development.
- Appointed to serve on the Regional Congregation Association to develop a corporate wide rewards program with various incentive levels designed to encourage member participation in church programs/ administrative function and corporate worship.
- Destiny Baptist Church, Martinsburg, WV-(Member 1995 – 2010) 2008 – Elected Clerk of Church term ended 2010. Support the development of the church annual capital budget. Track project approvals for building expansion projects and costs to ensure compliance of budget targets and goals. Support the development of the annual operating budget. Develop and implement plans to support administrative and ministry efforts. Coordinate activities with other ministry department heads to ensure member/vendor requests are completed by desired due dates.
- South Middle School, Martinsburg, WV Vice President Parent/Student Association 2010-2012. Assistant to the PTA president and performs duties of the president in his/her absence or inability to serve performs all duties specified by the bylaws and standing rules of the PTA.
- Berkeley County Parent/ Teacher Association, Martinsburg WV, Vice President (2010- 2013) assistant to the PTA president and performs duties of the president in his/her absence or inability to serve performs all duties specified by the bylaws and standing rules of the PTA. Responsible for the BC School Shoe Voucher Program. Received LIFETIME PTA Membership Award 2012
- Thriving Children Council, United Way (Berkeley, Jefferson, Morgan) WV (current)- Assist the United Way in ensuring res will be invested in strategies to meet defined goals, evaluate and provide feedback as to the success of funded strategies.
- James Rumsey Technical Institute Partnership (Frontier Representative-Berkeley, Morgan, Jefferson County) – Encourage students/teachers at the James Rumsey Training Institute through educational support, awards, recognition and program assistance. Serve as a mentor and re person for instructors and students. Improve attendance, Safety performance and achievement rate for students.
- West Virginia PTA –Board of Managers Re Coordinator (2012- 2013.
- Martin Luther King Scholarship Committee- Appointed January 2012 Elected Secretary August 2012- current
- Elected Berkeley County Democratic Delegate to the West Virginia Democratic Convention June 8-9, 2012
- Bonnie’s Bus Mobile Mammography Program 2012 -2015 State Partners Committee member and our Task Force to recruit special populations (currently Women of Color and Older Women) to get mammograms on Bonnie’s Bus.
- Sunrise Rotary Club Martinsburg Member- 2013-2015
- Berkeley County Democratic Executive Committee- Appointed 2013 -2015
- Berkeley County Roundhouse Authority – Appointed by Berkeley County Council July 2013- 2015
- Our Children, Our Future WV Advocacy: 2013-2015
- Appointed Steering Committee WV Healthy Kids and Families Coalition 2014-2016
- Appointed to United Way Executive Board of the Eastern Panhandle 2014-2017
- Appointed to West Virginia Women’s Commission March 2016- present
- Elected Berkeley County School Board –2016-2020
- COVID Transition Team Leader Destiny Baptist Church- COVID 19
- Eastern Panhandle Diabetes Coalition- 2021- current
- East Ridge Health Systems Board of Directors- Appointed March 2022
Campaign Website: https://www.facebook.com/Michelle-Barnes-Russell-For-Circuit-Clerk
Why Are You Running For Office: As Circuit Clerk my mission would be to provide fair and accessible justice dedicated to serving every person in the County who needs access to the court.
Identify The Most Pressing Issues Relevant To The Position You Are Seeking And How You Would Address Them: 1. I plan to work closely with the court staff to migrate court documents into a new technology system that will streamline and improve the auditing process. 2. Supporting families when courts services are needed. Divorce, Custody and Child support 3. Working closely with Law enforcement teams to help keep our community safe for all. 4. work closely with Drug courts and get people needed services. 5. Work closely to support Berkeley County Schools to improve attendance rates.
What Makes You Best Suited To Serve Your Constituents: I served on the Board of Education for 4 years and have served on numerous boards and committees in Berkeley County. I understand the importance of service and what it takes to make a difference. I am a hands on type person and I will work hard to ensure all families receive the best customer service.
What Separates You From Other Candidates: My public service, work and education make me the best candidate. I understand the importance of servant leadership.
How Do You Plan To Work With People Who Have Different Views Than Your Own: I appreciate and welcome all with different backgrounds/ views/feelings/ experiences. This is how we grow as a community.
Credit: Source link
- ‹ Previous Article
- Next Article›
- Top 10 Python IDEs for Data Science